Monday, April 27, 2015

April 27, 2015 - Day 2

April 27, 2015 - Day 2

Roncevalles --> Zubiri - 22 k

It poured rain all night long. Surprisingly, neither Donna nor I slept that soundly. 

We had agreed to meet up with our Camino brothers, Steve and Leon at 8:30 am, to co-ordinate    the day's hike. Since breakfast was a roll and coffee at our place, Donna and I headed out early before our Camino brothers thinking we would be stopping for breakfast #2 along the way and they would catch up. It was pouring down rain and in the 40's as we started out. I took a picture of a little church, and the sign for Santiago - 790 k away. Our goal. 



We trudged along in the rain along muddy, wet trails for an hour or so. A couple little inclines, but nothing like the first day. Around 10:00 am, Donna and I stopped for a potato galette looking breakfast item and a strong cup of coffee. I am still a little discombobulated by the language and money situation. Mostly I point at pictures or words I think I recognize as something I want to eat. Seems to work out ok so far. When Donna and I stopped for breakfast, we were pretty much drenched. As we left the breakfast cafe, Steve and Leon just happened to come up at that very moment - perfect timing! So, we resumed the Camino adventure together. We have all agreed that our meeting on the Camino is no co-incidence and we consider ourselves each others' guardian angels. 

Today, our legs felt amazingly good to start with, but we all definitely lost steam along the way. Donna and Leon walked together most of the day, and Steve and I walked together. We had the best conversations regarding life stories and, in particular, our spiritual journeys and beliefs. I found in Steve a real kindred spirit. And we agreed that we were put on the hike together for some very specific purposes. Fun stuff.

The last couple of hours were nothing short of excruciating - all four of us were stiff, sore and somewhat glazed over. As we crossed the highway at one point, a car turned around and came back to park next to us. A young woman carrying a box enthusiastically approached and told us they had just watched the movie and what we were doing was amazing - she said they had just come from Pamplona and handed over the box, which had still-warm pastries inside for us. The most delicious chocolate mini-croissant that just melted in your mouth. The thoughtfulness of these strangers made our day.

The four of us sort of stumbled into Zubiri on extremely tired legs at approx 3:30 pm. I keep taking comfort in the fact that the hardest physical legs of the Camino are supposedly over.

We are staying tonight in our first albergue. Donna and I are in a room with 5-6 other pilgrims, sharing communal bath facilitates. A real Camino experience. We ate an early lasagna dinner with more of that really good coffee across the street. Visited with Steve and Leon for a bit tonight, and I gave them tape,  vasoline and tiger balm for their ailments. 

Tomorrow we head to Pamplona - approx 22 k. We do not anticipate too many hills and inclines, bit are still a bit wary because our legs are really tired. Luckily, the weather forecast does not look like rain, but will be cool in the 40's. Donna and I went ahead and made a reservation at a small hotel for tomorrow. 

1 comment:

  1. As a former "guardian angel", I wish you all (Donna, Leon. Steve and (of course) Kim) an experience of a lifetime. I suspect your trek will exceed "the movie".

    ReplyDelete