Friday, June 17, 2016

June 16, 2016 Ripplebrook Camp Ground --> Detroit, OR - 46.2 miles

Heard Randy rustling about around 6 am and ventured out of the tent, pleasantly surprised that it was not raining and I was not freezing. The wool socks I purchased on the first Transamerica ride after freezing the first night camping had kept my feet fairly warm and my sleeping bag liner did its job. 2 valuable lessons I learned during the first go round. First things first - a hot cup of Via coffee to get me going. Then began taking down the tent and packing everything up as I ate a peanut butter sandwich and some mixed nut trail mix for breakfast. My clothes from the first day's ride were still soaked, and I put them in a water proof bag to deal with later at the motel where we had reserved rooms.


We headed out around 7:40 am, and began the 46 mile ride to Detroit. Very overcast and cool - probably in the 40's. Similar riding as on Wednesday, and again very little traffic to deal with. Lush green scenery and the stream/river running alongside. Both Randy and I were feeling the physical effects of the ride from yesterday. I spent a lot of time reminiscing about my Dad, who passed away on May 15. I was privileged to spend the last week of his life with him, and we shared some sweet moments. I am grateful. 




At about the 35-40 mile mark, we came on a view of snow capped mountains as we reached the summit of the ride for the day. Then we began a 5 mile downhill coast that was a kick! Then, all of a sudden we got a rain shower, just when I thought we might get away with no hard rain for the day.  At least I was dressed appropriately this time. 



We rolled into Detroit around 1 pm, and checked into the All Seasons Motel, one of those locally owned and reasonably priced motels with "character". As we checked in, we were greeted by Milo and Tequila, the cats, as well as a chocolate brown Lab whose name escapes me. Joining them was Oreo, a rather pudgy cat and Rita and Reba, red hens with attitudes. Andrea, the motel owner, was very accommodating and allowed me to use the laundry facilities to wash my wet clothes. Randy and I also were able to spread out the tents on the lawn and dry them out. We walked across the street to a food truck, and I had a delicious Philly cheesesteak and fries as we sat on the porch overlooking the lake. The gentleman who served us is from San Antonio and was there for the summer working for his brother. We talked about how hot is was in Texas, and how awful the traffic had become in Austin. 


Later in the evening, Randy and I watched the first half of the NBA finals between Cleveland and Golden State. We were both very tired and hurting - thank goodness for Advil, the wonder drug. Turned in early. Tomorrow will be a challenging 58 mile ride to Sisters, OR.

No comments:

Post a Comment