Saturday, May 16, 2015

Donna - May 15, 2015 - Mansilla --> Leon - 18K bus ride

Once agIn Kim and I found a Real gem in the Aubergue de Camino in Mansilla. The host bent over backwards to make us feel welcome and the room was probably our favorite so far.

After a brief rest and exploration of the town, we were again fortunate to share our evening meal with Bill from Toronto who was on his 3rd Camino.  We had some good conversation and advice to end a perfect day.

Kim and I decided that since we didn't have any rest days due to the limitation of my vacation time available and we were given permission by our guide book that we weren't cheating as real pilgrims, we decided to take the bus from Mansilla (which is like a suburb of Leon) to Leon to save our legs for sightseeing the city.  We were astounded that the bus fare was only 1.6 euro (about the same as a cup of tea).

We didn't have trouble finding our hotel but unfortunately met with ungracious hostesses.  Fortunately this has been a rare occurrence.  The room itself was nice with strong wifi but I wouldn't recommend this place to another perrogrino.

Kim and I did a little people watching near the Leon cathedral as well as took the audio tour of the church.  We also took a little train car ride that took us to the highlights of Leon with a recorded explanation in multiple languages - but the English version cut off right at the middle of the explanation so we still didn't know what we were looking at until checking in the guide book later - I give them a D and wouldn't recommend.

Once again Kim and I were running on empty and spent a lot of time searching for food.  If you can live off ice cream, cake and sweets - no problem but for veggies and something more nourishing it is a treasure hunt.  Finally we found some spaghetti and devoured our plates.

I finally decided to rest at the hotel to give my residual blisters some quality rest and it is paying off.  Kim found some food at a Mel's diner and kindly returned to the hotel with a salad for me.  She earned a gold star for all her efforts.


Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment