Sunday, June 15, 2014

LaDonna' Post Ride Thoughts

June 15, 2014

I am reflecting today on this magical bike ride that has taken me across 500 miles of pure beauty. I have never visited Colorado. And  I am so glad I decided to take this adventure. The magnitude of just how beautiful this country is has been my Oprah "a-ha" moment. 

I received an email today from a cousin who has followed this ride and her comment was that Colorado is one of her most favorite places, but.....She would not want to see this state by bike. I could not imagine it any other way. 

Biking has exposed me to a view I may of never noticed. We all go through life so fast that sometimes a simple pause is all that it takes to reflect on the soul. And believe me I paused quite a bit on this trip. Sometimes I chose to and sometimes life chose those pauses for me. Even before we left Austin there were many pauses as I learned to change gears properly. I had been doing it all wrong. My physical conditioning caused us to pause and rethink our destination choice, I never doubted I could do this ride, but I did wonder how long it would take me. 

When we began our ride out of Aurora I thought, " ok God, let's see what you taught me." My first incline, to me, was a mountain. Kim pedaled to the top with the ease of wings on her feet. I got off and pushed. But, I kept my head up.....always up.....And I was determined to see every sight around me. This challenge to get to the top became my goal and I would often yell to Kim....."see you  at the top".  And now, two weeks later....I still yell "see you at the top"' and Kim always waits, but I am now pedaling.......just like through life, pedaling......one pedal at a time......slow and steady .....at a very slow pace. I don't want to miss one sight.

Biking gave me an opportunity to enjoy the wildlife around me. Prairie dogs of all sizes greeted us as we passed. I think a few if the younger ones stood along side the road and waved. Antelope ran wild through the fields and I loved the day that Kim raced a Fox, she lost. Those moments were magical. I have never seen an open range. The cows were so close I could of petted them . And who has a camel in the mountains of Colorado? 

Snow on PIkes Peak in June. An artist's dream drawing. I found myself always looking up. 

When I reached the top the ride down took my breath away. I reached speeds of 33-34 mph. I wanted to close my eyes ,but I was too frightened by the ride. I will always remember the wind in my face and the look in Kim's eyes when we reached the bottom.  Sheer joy! One day I  wanted to yell to no one, but to everyone" can life be any better than this!". I have been surrounded and blessed by this beauty of land and people. 

And I have seen this from the seat of a bike. 

I could not imagine taking this trip with  anyone other than Kim. She has often told me of these moments, and now I know. I cannot wait for my next ride. 

And my final thought......life should be enjoyed by any means. You should enjoy the moments  that make you smile. You don't have to be on a bike to pedal contently through life, but....... 
Today, I am so happy I was on a bike ride through this wonderful state. I enjoyed every pedal. 
And today, I  am content. 

No comments:

Post a Comment