Sunday, June 15, 2014

June 15, 2014 - Post Ride Summary



2014 Colorado Bike Ride - Post Ride Summary

I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance (to the full, til it overflows). John 10:10 - AMP

Mission accomplished! And then some. By any measure, I think LaDonna's inaugural bike ride was a success. 

One of the things I love most about bike touring is the unknown and adventure. You always hope and pray for good weather, but there is no guarantee. You start out with a loosely conceived route plan, but have to be flexible to take advantage of opportunities as they present themselves, and to factor in your abilities and goals. There are expectations of great scenery, but to see the amazing beauty and mystery of God's creation you have to lift your head up, look, listen and feel. Be present in the moment with all senses engaged.  Recognize the adventure available in each and every day and the essential kindness of most folks.

What I have found is that at the conclusion of these long distance rides I always come away with a sense of physical, emotional and spiritual well-being. A wholeness that is seldom felt in the "normal" day to day of life and an awareness of God's grace and blessing there for the taking, if only we open ourselves up to receive. A feeling of hope. My goal is to continue learning how to incorporate this sense of wellness into day to day life, share, and somehow pay it forward to bless others.

ADDENDUM:  Thanks to my family, friends and coworkers - once again - for your help and support. I could not do this without you.

A special thanks to Dawne for her helpful input re trip planning and hospitality, and to Alison and Pam for taking care of us in Cuchara. 

As always, my sister Donna offered her enthusiastic encouragement as she followed every pedal stroke on "Find My Friend," but my Mom had the most important job of all - taking good care of Sassy while I am off living my "abundant life." 

Kim Basinger
Aurora, CO
June 15, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment