Saturday, August 6, 2016

August 5, 2016 Victoria, BC, CA - sightsee and rest - 20 miles riding


Last full day in Canada. Hard to believe the trip is almost over. 

Had a wonderful breakfast across the street at the Days Inn. My middle-aged server, Shirley, was a real character - in a good way. Short and solid (not heavy), she had a deep chested gruff sounding voice that barked out sweet nothings. I was a "young lady" and "honey", and the most important diner in the restaurant of the three people there. I am sure they felt the same way. She was dressed impeccably in a starched white shirt, black mini-skirt and stylish black shoes, all accented with her bright red lipstick. Her hair was carefully piled on her head. All in all, I just felt good being around her (there goes that saying again), and pretty much determined that I would return for breakfast tomorrow, if for no other reason than to see Shirley again. It didn't hurt that the breakfast was excellent and a good value. 

I rode my bike the 2 miles downtown to catch the 35 minute bus ride to Butchart Gardens. Since I had a little time to kill before the bus departed, I wandered around the wharf area. Found some more Canadian geese and sea gulls to watch. 

My initial impression of Butchart Gardens was as you might suspect. An unbelievable display of bright happy flowers and plants, all arranged brilliantly. One of the things I liked the most is that they keep signage to a minimum and instead hand out guidebooks with the maps, theme areas and plant/flower info arranged for easy reference. I wandered about and hit all the trails and theme areas. It was quite crowded. I became a bit dismayed as I observed how the majority of the hoard was so intently  engaged in taking pictures that they quite literally missed seeing and experiencing those magnificent flowers and gardens right in front of them. It was so obvious. It was a lot about jockeying for position and selfies. Another example of technology serving to distract away from real life. Everywhere you go nowadays (and I mean literally everywhere), people are disengaged from each other and obsessed with constant communication, whether by phone, text or social media. Granted, there were a few that thoughtfully observed and obviously appreciated and enjoyed the actual gardens, sometimes approaching the gardeners and asking questions. 









In any event, as I wandered around Butchart Gardens, I found myself almost more intrigued with observing people's behavior than focusing on the gardens. I have sometimes become aware of myself more concerned with good photo ops for the blog as opposed to observing and living the moment. When I find myself doing that, I will sometimes just put the camera up and re-focus on what is in front of me. Consciously take it in. Another example would be hearing v. listening. So often we hear people talk without actually listening to what they are saying because we are so distracted by other things. Bottom line: the way we see and hear can make a huge difference in whether we experience life as meaningful and feel "alive," versus going through the motions and feeling "numbed out." That's why I do these rides - among other things, they give me the space, time and opportunity to help me hone my seeing and listening skills. Feel alive. 

After Butchart Gardens, I spent the afternoon resting and preparing for the journey to Seattle tomorrow. I went for a last ride on the Galloping Goose Regional Trail, and parts of the Lochside Trail.  It was an absolutely gorgeous day, albeit a little windy. Almost felt a little like fall in the air. I stopped at one last bridge and took a few pictures of the picturesque swamp. 





Ended my afternoon ride at "That Li'l Pasta Place" where my Canadian adventure began 4 weeks ago. Filled my waiter in on my adventures since the previous visit as I indulged in that outstanding pasta primavera again. 


Tomorrow - back to the good ole USA. 


No comments:

Post a Comment