Friday, July 1, 2016

June 30, 2016 Pacific City --> Rockaway Beach, OR via Three Capes Scenic Route - 42.3 miles

First thought as I woke up was that it was my friend Bob Renfro's birthday  - Happy Birthday!

Randy and I walked down to this lovely little cafe and had a terrific breakfast. Everything tasted so fresh and flavorful. Plus, the waitress was very friendly. Good start to the day.


Before leaving Pacific City, I had to get a photo of the big rock off Cape Kiwanda. Met a couple of nice elderly gentleman who questioned the sanity of anyone who would bike long distances. I smiled and moved on.


The first 10 miles or so were basically through farmland similar to parts of yesterday's ride. Then we came upon some nice views of the coast, including one with a couple of horsewomen on the beach. 


We continued on to an intersection where the options to Tillamook (approx 20 miles away) were to go on a more direct inland route, or along the Three Capes Scenic Byway through Sandlake, a steep incline through mountainous forests, and ending on a winding downhill with stunning coastal views. Randy opted for the inland route, since he did not want to ride any steep inclines. Plus, he had been on this route in reverse previously, so would not be missing anything. After some internal debate, I opted for the scenic route. I had also ridden this way previously in reverse, but remembered the views and wanted to revisit the glory of the first couple days of the 2012 ride. So, we parted ways and agreed to meet up at the Tillamook Cheese Factory in a couple of hours.

For the first 30 minutes or so, I began the long, slow incline, passing the sand dunes and heading up into the forest. To give you an idea, when we ride these long, slow inclines, I am usually going at a pace of approximately 4-6 mph. On a normal straight away, I will average 10-15 mph. Or, with a tailwind, may average 15-20 mph. I will make speeds of 25-32 mph when cruising downhills.



Passed a couple of cheerful touring cyclists coming down the mountain. Nice to see. Before I knew it, I had reached the top, and began my own rapid descent down. The climb had been much easier than I anticipated. A tribute to my improved fitness? Stunning views of the coastline came into view, and I stopped frequently to take it all in. 


When I finally reached the bottom, I was treated to views of marshlands. 


I headed inland to Tillamook, again passing by farms and fields of wildflowers. A lovely ride.


Hooke up with Randy in Tillamook, and we started the 25 mile ride to Rockaway Beach. Alas, we began encountering some rather strong, gusty headwinds. My biggest nemesis as a biker - I hate wind more than anything. The good news was that it wasn't constant, which offered some reprieve. We slogged on toward Rockaway Beach, accompanied by a scenic railroad outfit running parallel. Tried unsuccessfully to get a picture of the tourists ogling at us.

In Rockaway Beach, we stumbled upon this wonderful little reasonably priced motel called the Silver Sands which was situated right on the beach. Attached is a photo of the view from my room. I immediately took a little walk down the beach. Hardly anyone there and I had the sense that I had the beach to myself. Sat on a big log and just breathed in the air and marveled. Said a bunch of little individual prayers of blessing for people in my life. A few prayers of specific concerns. But mostly just prayers of thanks for this current journey.




Met Randy and we walked across the street for dinner. Nothing to write home about, and the waitress was not very helpful. In fact, I think she overcharged us. This was one rare unsatisfactory incident on the trip. Also walked past a medical marijuana store. A newly posted sign in the window indicated that they were now selling recreational marijuana as well. I can't quite get used to these stores.


After dinner, I settled in for the evening with the ocean roar serranading in the background. Love this place.


No comments:

Post a Comment