Monday, May 11, 2015

May 11, 2015 Day 15 - Fromista --> Carrion - 20.5 K

May 11, 2015  Day 15 - Fromista --> Carrion - 20.5 K

We left the train depot albergue around 6:45 am and headed toward the square in Fromista, where we found a cafe that was open for breakfast. Got on the road about 7:30 am. It was cool to start, but you could feel that it would heat up pretty good by mid-morning. 


The path today was pretty much a straight shot alongside the main highway and flat. Rolling farmland to both sides. We took our time, stopping several times to rest and snack. 




Chris and I walked along together and talked about a variety of topics - her family, what the Camino is meaning to her, plans for after the Camino, etc. She has decided that part of her Camino walk is to not book places to stay ahead of time, but go in faith that God will provide the place she is to stay for whatever purpose. She also is conscious of watching her spending, and while she will stay in small hotels occasionally, would prefer to find albergues at more reasonable prices. While we all had discussed the "faith" approach to lodging with Donna, and she indicated at first that she would give it a try, it became apparent to me that it was stressful going into a town not having a place already lined up. Plus, she really prefers the comfort of a private room and bath. Doesn't have to be expensive or fancy - just certain ahead of time. I understand since I went through similar anxieties when I first started biking across America. But I learned that things always had a way of working out, and often with uncertainty comes unexpected adventures that can't be planned. While I also like a hot shower and comfortable bed, I am probably a little more willing to embrace uncertainty with the possibility of unexpected adventures. At any rate, my feeling was that I did not want Donna to stress all day worrying about where we would stay such that she couldn't even enjoy the walk. And I also understand that when you are dealing with blisters and a possible shin splint, you prefer comfort. So, the three of us have pretty much agreed that Donna and I will look to book ahead, and Chris will go on "faith." If at any time Chris wants to stay with us, that's great. And with three, that reduces the cost. But no pressure on anyone. 

We made good time because it was only about 13 miles to Carrion, and flat. Got to town about 12:30 pm, and Chris took off in search for her "faith-based" albergue, and Donna and I lucked out finding a bar that was actually serving meals. We had spinach fettuccine Alfredo  and spaghetti. Delicious..Donna was practically dancing with joy. Then, we checked into our room at Hostal La Corte, right next to the Cathedral. We have a lovely room with very clean bath. And the restaurant has gotten very good reviews for food other than our regular pilgrim's menu fare. Donna was so happy with the room that she gave me a big hug and said I had "hit it out of the ballpark" with this one. Very reasonably priced too.




I had texted Leon, and after they got settled in at the monastery where they are staying, Donna and I walked the 15 minutes over to visit Steve and Leon. It was really nice to see them and catch up. They looked a little haggard, but don't we all. Leon has joined the blister club. They are planning on attending mass in the morning, so we may not get to see them again - then again, you never know on the Camino. They could catch up. Ran into Chris a couple of times as I was out and about this afternoon, and she may join us in the morning - or, maybe not. You never know on the Camino. 

Donna and I returned to our little haven and booked an albergue for tomorrow night in Terradillos. 

Buen Camino!

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment