Saturday, May 9, 2015

Donna - May 8, 2015 Burgos --> Hornillos - 21K

After an early morning and sad departure from Leon and Steve, Kim and I struck out on our next stage,  We passed the magnificent Burgos cathedral,  It was quite impressive but strangely had the neighborhood right next to the church with no grand courtyard that you would expect for this icon,

Our trail wound itself through parks and past Medieval structures and statues eventually leading out to the country trails.  Along the way we encountered Maria who was an ex pilgrim 16 years ago and voluntarily stood at a crossroad to guide pilgrims around some new construction,

We took a break at Tardajos which was a small town with a map of the camino route and where we had arrived - it looked like we were about halfway.

After an early arrival in Hornillos, we stopped at Hostal de sol a sol to retrieve my pack that had been forwarded.  Samuel the owner and I had spoken via phone the previous night and he graciously arranged for us to be transported 7km to another hostel and had already sent my bag there for me. Apparently some of "The Way" film crew stayed both with Samuel and at the overflow Hostal that we sent to because they had personally signed posters from Emilio Estevez and Martin Sheen with a scene from the movie

Rodrigo who was originally from Brazil transported us to an old mill house that was a real oasis. The whole family made our stay a real pleasure.  It was nice to hear Portuguese spoken again.

We have linked up now with Chris from Holland who is a life coach in Holland,  She is working on making me more faith based and less planning in my approach.  I told her I would try to evolve more once my shin splint got a bit better and I wasn't hurting so much at the end of the day.  Last thing I need right now is to add mileage wandering around looking for shelter for the night.  She said that the blisters and shin splint was my bodies way of forcing me to slow down - mission accomplished!

During the group dinner with folks from all over the planet we had a great conversation with Brian from Ireland who was 78 years old and was on his 6th camino,   I asked what got him interested in doing the camino initially and he said he lost his wife and the kids were smothering him (trying to protect him) so he struck out to get away on his own.

I  was very inspired by his zest for life - not sure it will manifest it in another camino however!

Tomorrow another short day thank goodness to Castrojerez

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment