Thursday, May 7, 2015

Donna - May 7, 2015 San Juan de Ortega --> Burgos 24.3 K

San Juan is a small "town" of about 20 so there was one small hotel which Steve and Leon stayed in and an albergue that housed bunk beds for 70.  It was clean but a little grim with cold water showers and no toilet paper except in one stall.  No breakfast was provided but we did get a dinner of garlic soup. Pasta, salad and tenderloin with the ever present French fries.  It was adequate but I still felt like I was in a Charles Dickens book at an orphanage.  After listening to a symphony of snoring all night, Kim and I were up and on the trail by 6:30 am.

We had to walk about 3 km to get to a town for some breakfast of bread, bread and more bread along with cafe con leche.  I just don't operate my best on just bread but tried to be a trooper because I knew that Burgos and a hotel awaited us today.

The walk was one of my favorites to date because of the panaramic view of Burgos from the hillside and the view at dawn of the sun rising.  Sad to say that one of the highlights was finding a McDonalds as we entered Burgos and devouring a hamburger.  I don't usually eat much fast food and especially McDonald's but I thought I had died and gone to heaven.  As you know from previous blogs, we are hungry a lot - especially at the end of our trek when Siesta shuts everything down and we need nourishment the most so McD was a real treat.  We had a really long trek into the center of Burgos to find our hotel and wordlessly went to our room.  First order of business was to get clothes washed.  Second order was to soak in a bathtub that a whole family could have taken a bath in.  I am afraid that even though there is so much to see in Burgos that our energy level is going to limit exploring as much as we would like before bidding the guys adios (they have a rest day tomorrow in Burgos). They will be missed


Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment