Tuesday, June 10, 2014

LaDonna's guest post 6/10/14


Kim asked me to contribute a guest blog to our biking adventure through Colorado. I have been amazed at the scenery and beauty that has surrounded us. My biking experience has been very limited and the physical tests quite expected. What I did not realize was how much fun and feeling of exhaustive achievement I would feel at the end of the day. I have to admit, I think all of family and friends that I shared this idea with thought  I had bitten off much more than I could accomplish. But......I am the strongest person that I know. And Kim, probably the most patient. 
Each day I have gotten stronger. I have walked up many inclines, I have fallen off my bike and been confused as to how to begin the day, end it, etc....all the nerves that goes into doing something totally new, and I have not felt comfortable to suggest routes,etc and that added responsibility has fallen on Kim's shoulders . She has been a real trooper and great support. 
But what I have learned past all that planning is that the plan has to be flexible. You have to be willing to accept the unexpected and adjust. Sometimes we are too rigid and unbending in our  interaction with others.  And with ourselves, we have to be more patient and accepting. The incline I walked up one week ago, I can now slowly pedal. The windstorm we encountered riding into Alamosa  "paused" me to pace and accept resistance. The raft trip we took in Canon City introduced us to new moments of challenges and the daily rides into small towns introduced us to good people, who smile and genuinely wan t ed to know about our trip. 
I have been blessed every day with  the beauty God has surrounded us with. I close my eyes at night and I  want the  day to continue in sound and color. And I look forward to the next day and all the surprises it offers. And the food, oh, how I have enjoyed the food! 
My favorite time is now. 
I have not thought about the end, I am having too much fun today. 
And as I pedal onward, and Kim continues to wait for me ahead... I am thankful for this time ...with others or alone and I am convinced, that this crazy life of mine is a great one! 

1 comment:

  1. LaDonna, you are not the only person for whom Kim stops and waits.... particularly when there are climbs involved. Congrats on your riding and welcome to the world of bike touring.

    ReplyDelete