Sunday, September 15, 2013

September 15, 2013

September 15, 2013 - Rest day in Searsport, ME

Had breakfast with Randy, then saw him off on his way to Augusta today en route to Syracuse. Happy/sad again. We had a good time in Bar Harbor and I will miss him these last few days of my ride. Perfect weather for riding today - clear blue skies and cool temperatures.





I spent the rest of the morning working on the blog, doing laundry, cleaning my bike and performing basic bike maintenance, and working on potential routes and places to stay for tomorrow. My goal is to ride 77 miles to Brunswick tomorrow, which would leave approximately 55 miles to Kennebunkport on Tuesday. My legs got another good day of rest today, so I think I will be good to go tomorrow.

I went downtown to the market for a few items and stopped by the town park on the coast. It was very quiet down there, and I sat for a moment before hiking out on the sand bar and picking up a few pretty shells to take home. Next I stopped by the maritime museum for a few minutes before heading "home" to rest and be quiet.








Watched a little HGTV and looked for places to stay in Kennebunkport. Found an intriguing place called the Franciscan Guest House right near the downtown area. There is a monastery next door with all sorts of neat trails and gardens. I called our long time family friend, Mary Jean Tarr, who originally hailed from Kennebunkport. She now lives in Tampa, Florida. We had a nice chat and she made some suggestions for my time in Kennebunkport. It will be fun to see Kennebunkport after all the stories my sister and I grew up hearing. Visiting Kennebunkport is on my sister's bucket list, so I am doing a little vicarious visiting on Donna's behalf as well.

Had a good dinner and settled in for the evening. A very pleasant rest day.

No comments:

Post a Comment