Sunday, September 1, 2013

August 31, 2013





August 31, 2013 Cranberry Lake --> Lake Placid, NY - 55 miles

As anticipated, I awoke to a steady rain. What I hadn't anticipated was the bright pink water coming out of all the faucets and in the toilet. I suspected that it was nothing harmful, but wasn't willing to take the the risk. So no hot shower to loosen up these old joints for the follow up to 72 miles yesterday. Pull out the Advil. Luckily, I had enough water in my water bottles to heat in the microwave for my Starbucks Via coffee to accompany my morning studies. Afterwards had breakfast at a cute little diner across the street, and hit the road in a light drizzle by 8:00 a.m. in hopes of getting to Lake Placid early enough to enjoy some of the afternoon there.

It rained the first 20 miles to Tupper Lake and I was pretty well drenched from the combination of rain and sweat. It was warm and very humid, but I had on my bright yellow bike jacket in order to be as visible as possible. Despite the rain, the riding itself wasn't so bad as I continued on the Olympic Scenic Byway with its nicely paved and broad shoulders. I stopped at a McDonalds in Tupper Lake to get a cup of coffee and use wi-fi to send the blog entry from yesterday. Cranberry Lake Lodge's internet wasn't working and there was no cell service, so I had been cut off from communications with anyone for a day. The non-functioning internet service and pink water (none of which the motel proprietors told me about beforehand) somewhat revised my earlier glowing opinion of Cranberry Lake Lodge. That, coupled with the proprietor's attitude as if they were doing me a favor. They seemed to know I had no other options.

The remaining 29 miles from Tupper Lake to Lake Placid were pleasant enough. However, I began to encounter those long gradual inclines, followed by the fast downhills with more and more frequency. Not drastically steep climbs, but I was definitely feeling it. Although it remained overcast, the rain had pretty much stopped.










The weather continued to improve and the sun actually started coming out by the time I entered Lake Placid and found the Alpine Air Motel, my home for the next few days. I found that the motel was in a terrific location. Within walking distance of downtown Lake Placid and situated across the street from a grocery store and very nice laundry mat. Lots of nearby places to eat and a bicycle shop just up the street.




After taking a hot bath and re-grouping for a few minutes, I rode into town and checked everything out to see what I might want to do during my down time in Lake Placid. Lots of cute shops and stores to explore and an abundance of appealing restaurants. I stopped in at The Black Bear Restaurant and had one of the best pasta primavera dishes ever with hot homemade bread. My seat was right alongside Mirror Lake with its gorgeous view and I was in heaven. I think there is a very good chance I may be back at that restaurant before it is all said and done.

After dinner, I found a place that had information on Lake Placid and things to do, etc. Met a very nice lady who was extremely helpful in helping me plan what I wanted to do that was logistically doable given that I am on a bike. What immediately caught my attention was the Lake Placid Bobsled Experience held at the site where Olympic athletes still train for bobsled and luge events. I was also interested in seeing the Olympic Museum and Olympic Center. A young man who worked with the lady assisting me strongly suggested I take the 1 hour Lake Placid boat cruise, saying it was well worth it. Only about a mile walk north of Main Street. They started peppering me with questions about the bike ride, since I told them that whatever I did had to be within reasonable biking distance. I told them a little about the ride and gave them one of my "business cards."

I returned to the motel full of excitement about the possibilities during tomorrow's "rest day" and decided to go ahead and do laundry to get it out of the way. While my clothes were washing, I performed routine bike maintenance and gave my bike a good cleaning since it was caked with dirt after riding in the rain. The owner of the motel had graciously given me some old rags to use on my bike. I returned the bike and clean clothes to my room and decided I wanted pie. So, I walked across the street to HoJo for dessert. No apple pie left at this point, so I opted for NY style cheesecake.

When I checked the weather forecast as a prelude to starting to plan the next few days riding, there was a 60% chance of rain and storms forecast for Monday. I started thinking about staying an extra day until Tuesday. That way I could essentially sight see and window shop all day Sunday, then stay inside and actually rest on Monday. I decided to ask my motel owner if I could stay an extra day.

Another great day of adventure. So far, I am loving Lake Placid.

No comments:

Post a Comment