Monday, August 19, 2013

August 19, 2013





August 19, 2013 Rest Day in Port Huron, MI -- 22 miles

We decided to move to a motel in Port Huron closer to the bridge to Canada, and take a rest day. However, before checking out I rode to the closest Starbucks about 4 miles away to stock up on Via for my morning coffee fix. My usual morning routine of study and prayer is greatly enhanced by a good cup of coffee. Or two. I confess that a good cup of coffee is my drug of choice. However, I don't consider myself an addict because if it is bad coffee don't bother.

I returned from the coffee run and Randy and I made the 6 mile ride over to the Best Western by the bridge in Port Huron. the ride was a breeze - literally. Had a nice tail wind. In fact, I realized that I had appropriately named my bike blog Biking with the Tailwind for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that we have had mostly tailwinds throughout the bike trip. The front desk lady at Best Western was very helpful and accommodating, allowing us to check in early. Very nice rooms. They even gave Randy an upgrade to a beautiful business suite with a jacuzzi for no extra charge. This thrilled him to no end, and I think helped soothe the memory of the Saginaw Motel 6 experience.

There was an excellent bike path almost all the way from the motel to the waterfront just under the bridge to Canada. we stopped and took pictures of the bridge, Thomas Edison park and trail. A beautiful waterfront bike trail wound to a lovely downtown area. Along the way there were many people fishing, biking, walking or just sitting and having lunch.











We found a delightful restaurant on Main Street and had a terrific lunch. Mine was a lunch combo of 1/2 Philly cheesesteak and 1/2 Traverse City Salad that was to die for. And the food was pretty to boot.

After lunch we returned to the motel for an afternoon of rest and relaxation. I took a nap and started looking again at the maps for tomorrow as we begin the Canada leg of the journey. Randy has called ahead and arranged for transportation across the bridge into Sarnia, Ontario tomorrow morning. Then we will begin biking in the direction of Toronto. We think there may be a really nice bike trail from Hamilton to Toronto, then beyond along the St Lawrence River and Lake Ontario towards New York. But, truthfully, we are somewhat playing all this by ear at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment